Sender:
From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 1994 15:45:39 EST
Thanks for the good HOCKEY-L article, Mike!
>Here's an alternative:
>        A.  Give FIVE points to a team that wins in regulation or overtime.

So you seem to agree with me (and some others) that a shoot-out is fun
and exciting, but shouldn't be worth much in the standings.

Unfortunately, changing college hockey standings calculations from the
*traditional* 2-1-0 points will not happen because that's the way hockey
*must* be scored (IMHO).  College Hockey doesn't want to diverge from
traditional scoring, but wants the excitement of a shootout.  Giving a
win to a "shoot-out winner" is too much;  giving a point is a great
compromise.  I agree that is is still too much!

For the basketball fans that think a tie is a terrible thing, the
shoot-out is good.  That a shoot-out win is not a real win is pretty
confusing.  If college hockey really wants to attract new fans and TV
exposure, it needs the shoot-out, IMHO.  I hope the HE experiment is
somehow deemed a success by season's end!

(sorry this is so disjointed ...  trick-or-treaters will start arriving
any minute!  :-))

Yours in college hockey,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]