Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 1994 11:20:49 -0400
Jim Love writes:
>On Tue, 30 Aug 1994, Pamela Sweeney wrote [from the newspaper]:
>> And look for the Gophers to bid on the college all-star game that has been
>> played in Bangor, Maine.  Minnesota would like to hold the game in April in
>> conjunction with the Hobey Baker Award weekend.
>
>  Actually, Orono, ME if you want to get picky .... An All-Star game during
>the NC$$ Tournament sounds like a GREAT idea to me - they could stage it
>on Friday in conjunction with the Hobey Baker Award Ceremony as has been
>suggested.  But I'm confused with the wording of Minnesota's proposal ....
>The NC$$ Tournament is in Providence and Cincinatti (sp ??) the next two
>Springs - shouldn't such an All-Star game be hosted by the school/city that
>is already hosting the Hobey Award Ceremony ??  Am I mis-interpreting the
>Good Folks of St. Paul here ... ??

I think so...the Hobey Baker Award *weekend* actually takes place after
the season is over.  The announcement is what takes place at the final
four; the actual awarding of the trophy and honoring of the winner
happens in Minnesota a week or two later.

Also, the all-star game cannot be held until after the last game of
the season is played (so it cannot be played before the national
championship game).  This is because players cannot play for more than
one team in a season, and there is no exemption allowing players to
appear in a college all-star game.  Seniors can play in the game
because their college careers have ended by that time.
<<<<< Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors (station TBA for 94-95) >>>>>