Sender:
From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 1994 14:09:10 -0400
Quint -

> I have been hitting the books on this one, but I am sending this
> E-mail out to see if I can get any more leads...
>
> Does anyone know of any research on violence in ice hockey?
>
> I am particually interested in the perception of violence among fans
> and non-fans.

    Go to your local college research library, and ask for the microfiche
of the Monday, 1 March (1993) issue of The Washington Post.  Most of Page
B5 is taken up by a loooog story on "Hockey's Bad Boy Cult," and includes
tidbits on such things as: "The Aggressive Hockey Report, a fight-fan news-
letter (seven issues for $20) published by Mark Topaz in Brooklyn, NY; a
discussion of various Hockey Fight videos (eg. Greatest Hockey Fights Vol.
VII) published by an outfit called "Fists of Fury" in St. Paul, MN (call
1-800-950-6213 for your free catalogue .... maybe Erik and Carol moonlight
there, and have never told us :-); and excerpts from a 1991 book called
"Bad Boys" (McGraw Hill/Ryerson; Toronto, by Stan Fischler (columnist for
The Hockey News).  I never quite understood why I read this article (let
alone saved it :-) but I knew I'd waded in over my head when I reached the
section that explained the "crucial difference" between a "goon" and an
"enforcer." :-(  Please ....

> Any ideas or directions you could give me would be very much appreciated.

  You're welcome !!  Now just promise the rest of us here on HOCKEY-L that
you won't be having any notions to promote this brand of thuggery in the -
horrors !! - college game ....

  Cheers from the Chesapeake - Jim

  Go Blue !!  Hockey East nomads in 1994-95 !!