Sender:
From:
Carol Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 1994 11:54:04 -0400
The NHL rule on helmets was that you had to be an NHL player before a
particular year.  The only person left that fits this, I believe, is
Craig MacTavish.  (I remember reading that, when the Capitals' Rod
Langway retired, he was one of only 4 players who still fell under that
rule).  The rule was changed that a player could go helmetless if he
signed a release form.  At some point last season I saw an article that
said that only 1 player had signed a release form, he went helmetless for
a few games and then put his helmet back on.  I remember that, when this
new rule went into effect, a reporter asked members of the Capitals if
they would go helmetless and they all said no, except Alan May who said
he would consider it if it meant he would get a lot of endorsements.
Captain Kevin Hatcher said his wife would kill him if he even considered
doing such a thing.  There was some speculation that Brett Hull, among
others, would go helmetless for the All-Star Game.

Carol