Sender:
From:
MARK HILL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 1994 14:55:10 EST
Rick has stated:
<>Based on the posts about eliminating hockey at Kent State:
<>
<>1. This strikes me as a done deal. At most universities, action by the Board
<>of Trustees is a governance formality - basically once the President decides
<>what he wants to do, the Board will support it. The odds are 99+ to one that
<>on 4/13/94 hockey will be eliminated when the Board meets.

At Ferris two years ago the community and Ferris showed up at the
Board of control meeting that was to decide the demise of the hockey
program....  with little youth hockey players actually crying, and a
plea from businesses and fans from throught the states... the Board
delayed the action, and several other sports programs were eliminated
instead.

<>2. I can understand eliminating a hockey program for financial reasons, but
<>throwing in men's gymnastics reeks of a gender equity effort. From info posted
<>last yr, Div I hockey costs about $600,000 +/- and does not pay its way at
<>many schools, but gymnastics should be (relatively) cost-effective. The
<>principal cost should be for out-of-state tuition and some schools are finding
<>creative ways around this. Since they are not eliminating womens gymnastics
<>(assuming they have it) and will be left with 8 sports for each gender, this
<>looks like one action by the President to correct financial and gender issues.

The real issue is the TITLE IX compliance.  Briefly the IX states the
the athletic budget shall represent as close as possible (?) the
gender of the school.
Any school DIV I or II that has both hockey and football will have
problems being Title IX compliant.  Schools that have added two or
three womens sports still are not totally compliant.

By the way the Title IX has been around along time (BUSH/REGAN), but
until the Clintons came to the whitehouse the issue was never
enforced.  Bill has made the Office Of Civil Rights the watchdog for
this issue.

Ferris is the first University in the states to be 100% compliant
(This scares me). We are dropping five sports after this year.