Sender:
From:
"John R. Nash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 1994 00:34:53 -0600
Michigan Tech showed that they are for real tonight at the WCHA Final Five
quarterfinal in Milwaukee.  Here are my impressions from tonight's contest.

The first period was, as expected, pivotal.  Going into the game, I felt
MTU stood a good chance if they could keep it close through the first
twenty minutes.  Well, at the end of one, NMU had taken 18 shots on Jamie
Ram, and none had gone in.  MTU had something like five shots, but came
out leading 1-0.  Northern had the better of the play in the period, esp
since Tech made several trips to the box, giving the 'Cats ample power-
play opportunities.

Northern converted on a power play about a minute into the second, but
Tech regained the lead shortly afterward.  At this point, NMU seemed to
be a bit deflated, and had trouble staying organized and completing
plays the rest of the way.  Ram was rock solid in net, and MTU suddenly
looked the better team on the ice.  By the time it was over, it was
5-1 Tech, including an empty-netter to ice it.  The game against the
Gophers will be very interesting -- Ram is on his game, and you know
what they say about hot goalies in the playoffs...

To my eyes as a neutral observer, Tech is playing with a lot of heart.
They're still not as skilled as the others in the playoffs, but they're
carrying a great "what have we got to lose?" attitude.  The battle of
the bands tonight clearly went to MTU, IMHO.  The NMU band was loud but
stilted, and they shared their upper-deck perch with cheerleaders.  The
Tech band was rinkside, and seemed to have a ball all night, playing
Beer-Barrel Polka "for all you Wisconsin fans" and belting out "We're
number 10!  We're number 10!" with exuberence.  They also did a nice
"Sing Sing Sing."

The battle of mascots ended in a tie.  Between the first and second
periods, the Husky and the Wildcat had a wrestling match, won by the
former by a takedown.  The Wildcat got his own back in the second
intermission by taking his hockey stick and breaking it on the Husky's
knee, Tonya Harding-style. The crowd loved it.  (The Husky made a speedy
recovery, for those wondering, although it remains to be seen how he'll
do in the free skate.)

That's about it for my color commentary.  There were quite a few
penalties called, but most if not all of them were good calls from
my vantage point.  NMU had an early goal waved off when the whistle
had clearly blown before the puck went in.

The Bradley Ctr was only about half-full.  It won't be tomorrow....

On Wisconsin,
                john nash