Sender:
From:
Mike Zak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 91 10:36:43 EST
No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth.  I was stuck in Rochester,
NY during the big ice storm.  It was nasty.

I have some things to add to what Bill Fenwick said in his prediction
about the Clarkson-Harvard game.

	-The main thing Bill neglected to say was regarding the size of the
	ice surface at Boston Garden.  The ice surface there is noticably
	smaller than that at Harvard.  It is more in the line with that at
	Walker Arena.  With Clarkson's 14-0-1 record at home, this should
	give an advantage to Clarkson.  It is much more difficult for a team
	to go to a smaller surface than to a larger one.

	-The result of the Clarkson game at Harvard was not an easy win for
	the Crimson.  Harvard would score and then Clarkson would tie it up.
	Most of the goals came on pps.  Clarkson had scored a goal to tie
	the game at 4-4 but had a penalty assessed against them for too many
	men on the ice.  So Clarkson had to pull their goalie and gave up an
	empty net goal to finish it at 5-3.  So Clarkson was able to skate
	with Harvard and lost through their own mistakes.

	-Clarkson and Harvard have met in the semi-finals three times since
	1985.  In 1985, the #3 ranked Crimson beat #2 Clarkson 2-1 on a goal by
	Scot Fusco @ 19:09 in the final period.  In 1986 and 1988, the #4
	ranked Clarkson beat top ranked Harvard 4-2 and 6-4 respectively.
	So Clarkson does have a precedent for beating Harvard in Boston
	Garden.

	-I also think that Clarkson has a very large motivational fact since
	they haven't won a title in 25 years.  Hopefully they'll be the
	hungriestof the four, knowing that they can really do it this year.

Some other rambling notes.

	-I believe that BC and UMO both deserve first round bids.  They both
	did better against the top teams in the nation than the other
	candidates.  I think that Clarkson will get the third East seed and
	BU the fourth.  Clarkson did beat BU at BU.  Cornell has to hope
	that either themselves or Clarkson wins the ECAC title.  If neither
	team does, I think that Clarkson will go to the NCAAs and Cornell
	will lose out.  Looking at their non-league records, Harvard and SLU
	are not very deserving.

	-About the '85 RPI team: I was at the game they played at Clarkson.
	The game resulted in one of their two losses.  It menat a lot since
	it was late in the season.  It was a wild game.  The arena went
	crazy when RPI got called for a penalty with a minute left in the
	game and Clarkson ahead.  It was one of the best games I've seen.

Mike Zak
Clarkson '87, '90,... (Fall '91, or else.)

Saddam is a Cantab!  (I hope that that's the correct 'other' Harvard
						nick-name.)