Sender:
From:
Tom Tseng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 1994 14:04:52 -0500
 RE>Cornell weekend
(Original posting by Bill Fenwick)

Regarding the Princeton's waved-off goal:
     >With 1:46 left in the second period, a high shot bounced off
Bandurski
     >and a Princeton player and wound up in the net, but referee John
Murphy
     >waved the apparent goal off, ruling that the puck had been
hand-passed
     >into the net.

From where I sat (Sect K Row 6), the whistle was blown when the near
post of the net came off the mooring.  The puck was then pushed across
the goal line after that.  That was what I thought why the referee
waved off the goal, until Saturday morning when I read the Ithaca
Journal and found that it was ruled no-goal because of a hand pass.  I
did not see the hand pass itself, but was pretty sure that the net had
come loose and the no-goal call was a correct one.

Regarding the Yale game and the Objects On the Ice:

     >Well, perhaps predictably, something else came sailing out of the
     >stands at the 8:47 mark (I didn't see what it was, but I'd bet on
     >another hat), and the Big Red got another delay-of-game bench
minor,
     >after which PA announcer Arthur Mintz all but begged the fans to
knock
     >it off.

Well, I thought Dawes was going to make that call one way or the other.
 Like Bill, I did not see anything sail out of the student section.
Whatever Referee Dawes called an object, it was not a hat.  It was so
small that he pinched it with his thumb and index finger and deposited
it at the penalty box.  I'd bet it was a piece of tape from a player's
stick.  However, Ref Dawes must have wanted to mean business, so he
called another penalty on Cornell.

I always felt that a warning about any objects thrown on the ice was
ludicrous because, let's say I was a Yale fan, and my team was behind
in the game.  What was there to prevent me from throwing whatever was
in my pocket to cause further penalties to Cornell so that my team
might have a few more power plays?  Bird-brained referees are not going
to distinguish where the garbage comes from; they'll simply call a
penalty on the winning team.  Apparently Dawes spotted a little piece
of something and made good his threat.

Tom S. Tseng
Cornell '87