Sender:
From:
Steve Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 1994 13:51:58 -0500
First of all, kudos to the Spartans for playing a great "LSSU-style"
games against Michigan.  They're one of the few teams that can
clutch-grab-interfere their way into a tight game with Michigan.  They've
done it four times this year.

Now.  With that out of the way, a couple of snippets:

It really looks like MSU is taught to try and draw as many cheap
penalties as possible.  Not that this is illegal or necessarily bad, but
in my opinion doesn't lend to good hockey.  One instance that I remember
was in the second period of Saturday's game when MSU had a power play and
a 2-0 lead.  Anson Carter (whose skills I really like) had just dropped
the puck back behind his own net to his defenseman and started up-ice.
The lone Michigan forechecker, in an attempt to dislodge the puck from a
bad angle, tapped (and I do mean tapped; I was a couple of yards away)
Carter's heel with the flat of the stick.  A half-second later or so,
Carter seemed to realize what had happened, and fell flat on his chest.
Two minutes, Michigan.  This play didn't have an effect of the game's
outcome, but it makes me wonder if this isn't being taught not only at
MSU, but elsewhere as well.  It does work to some extent (at least it did
on Saturday), so there may be some merit to the strategy.  It does,
however, make it very frustrating to watch when added to the almost
constant interference that goes uncalled in hockey today.

I'm sure that the thread of "clutch-and-grab takes away the advantage
from the more skilled teams" has probably been discussed at length.
See: Opponents' strategy against the Detroit Red Wings.

I read in the Detroit News on Sunday that both Mason and Berenson thought
that the game meant much more to MSU than U-M, and I would tend to
agree.  With U-M already clinching the regular season title, and MSU
fighting for second with four other teams, it would make sense that MSU
would come out desperate and U-M flat.  The problem was, I thought Michigan
had the better of the play in the first two periods despite the fact that I
didn't think they were playing particularly well.  Berenson did go on to
say that he was disappointed about the result, and that he wanted his
team to get ready for the playoffs.  Maybe Scotty Bowman is rubbing off
on him a little?  Playoffs >> Regular Season...  Sounds simple, but often
overlooked.

I think that Michigan will play a much better game should these two teams
meet in the CCHA playoffs.  IMO, they've played with a big carrot in
front of them against MSU twice this season.  The GLI championship game
(4-2 U-M), and the game at MSU following the upset at Ann Arbor where MSU
was threatening to get within 7 points (3-1 U-M).  Granted, the game at
Munn was no jewel, but as G. M. Finniss wrote in his summary, Michigan
played a "great road game."  The CCHA title might be the big carrot they
need to carry them to a better effort against MSU, and possibly a better
result.

--Steve.
U-M '92

|Steve Phillips                            Ford Motor Company           |
|Support Consultant                        Electric Vehicle Engineering |
|Internet: [log in to unmask]    15401 Century Dr. Suite 100  |
|Phone: (313) 248-8237                     Dearborn, Michigan 48120     |
|FAX #: (313) 248-5387                     U.S.A.                       |