ACTEM-INTEGRATORS Archives

ACTEM Integrators

ACTEM-INTEGRATORS@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Randy Pitts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ACTEM Integrators <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2012 12:01:04 -0500
Would you want to create a multi-page PDF, or more of a web newspaper?

I like the PDF concept.  It's portable.  InDesign is a great program --
but expensive.  Works hand-in-hand with Photoshop (even Elements).  Once
you're done you can convert your files to PDF, then assemble into a
multi-page PDF.  There are certainly easier programs to work with, but
InDesign is a professional class desktop publishing application, so
learning how to use it (and Photoshop) is an added benefit.

A web newspaper is a cool idea too though.  There are plenty of drag and
drop web programs that would eliminate the need for coding; iWeb for
example.  You could come up with a common template, then have everyone
work within those conventions.  If you have a school web site, you could
publish the entire magazine site within a subfolder and a link to your
school's home page (or not).

Plenty of other solutions too.  Keynote or Powerpoint could be used along
with any word processor.  This wouldn't be a path I would choose, but it
would reduce the learning curve.  These files could also be converted to
PDF's.

Lots and lots of ways of approaching this.

Randy Pitts
Technical Coordinator
Vinalhaven Schools
207-863-4800