From:
Arthur Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 1994 09:02:46 -0500
>Could some of you members who know or know where to go in the NCAA
>rulebook check on the Maine SID's contention, reported by Wayne, that
>a college student who leaves school to play inthe Olympics is permitted
>to return to his college team to finish out the season *whether or not
>he is registered for courses*?
>
>Why does this sound fishy? Do you have to be an educator to not like the
>sound of that, if it's true? I know Maine has been taking it in the ear.
>And it's tacky to kick a school when it's down. But it's hard to believe
>the NCAA permits non-enrolled students to play under any circumstances.
>
>Talk about the "homer" game-callers on WHRB (where NCAA rules do not apply).
>Is this not another instance of "homer" creative interpretation of rules
>(or student records) in Orono?
>
>If the NCAA actually permits unenrolled or only partially enrolled
>students (*one* reading course!) to play, I apologize. (And I will alter
>my view of the NCAA to resemble those of many of you on the list.)
>
>Kevin

The NCAA Guide to Eligibility covers 175 pages and is nearly impossible to
summarize here. However, from the section "Knowing the General Principles",
the following are given as three academic standards that student-athletes
must meet to be eligible for intercollegiate competition:

- enroll in at least a minimum full-time program of studies that leads to a
bacalaureate degree or its equivalent;

- maintain good academic standing as defined by your institution, and

- meet satisfactory-progress standards toward a degree at your institution.

Checking the definitions in the "Understanding Key Words" section:

full-time student: an undergraduate student-athlete who is enrolled in at
least a full-time program of studies as defined by your institution and
leading toward a baccalaureate or equivalent degree. However, in order to
be eligible for competition, the student-athlete must be enrolled in not
less than 12 hours of credit, regardless of your institution's definition
of minimum full-time program of studies. [Bylaws 14.1.6 and 14.1.8]

good academic standing: academic standards for all students that are
defined by the academic authorities at your institution. To be eligible to
participate in intercollegiate athletics, a student-athlete must meet the
standards for good academic standing at your institution. [Bylaws 14.4 and
14.5]

satisfactory progress: academic requirements which verify that a
student-athlete is making progress toward a baccalaureate or equivalent
degree program at your institution. These requirements must be satisfied by
a student-athlete who has completed at least one academic year in residence
or used one season of eligibility in a sport at your institution. [Bylaws
14.4.2 and 14.5]

I would interpret all this gobbledygook to mean that IF the Ferraros return
from the Olympics and enroll in at least 12 credits, AND IF they meet
Maine's definitions of "good academic standing" and "satisfactory
progress", they would be eligible to compete.