From:
Wade Felde <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1993 16:49:22 -0400
     Harvard/Minn-Duluth:

>Back in '84 or '85 Harvard visited UMD for a NCAA playoff
>game.  Prior to the game some student writer from Harvard
>printed an article in the Harvard student newspaper about
>how people from Duluth, Minnesota were all a bunch of
>back-ass rednecks (or something to that effect).  This
>article made it to the Duluth newspaper and it served as an
>inspiration for the Bulldog players and they promptly
>pounded Harvard that weekend.

Amazingly enough I do not have the original article (I do
have several others from that season). It was the 84-85
season.  And you remembered it as I have.  The article was
written for the Harvard student newspaper and was a slam
against Duluth and its citizens, not the UMD team.  I
remember something about Duluth lacking "culture" ie all we
had was hockey.  I also remember the writer of the original
article writing a formal apology to the people of Duluth in
the Duluth newspaper.

By the way UMD won both games 4-2.

     Sergei Petrov:

>I think the Wooger would have taken Petrov though.  Petrov
>played for Cloquet (Minnesota) last year in the state
>tournament and was (is) quite a bit better than everyone
>else at the Civic Center last year.

From the University of Minnesota Duluth Hockey program:
>Provided Cloquet High School hockey followers with one
>unforgettable season in 1992-93...originally came to Duluth
>as a Bulldog recruit in July 1992 and remained to attend a
>final year of high school...

Thus I do not think the Wooger had a chance to recruit him.
As good as Petrov looked in the Tournament I think some of
that credit has to go to Jamie Langenbrunner.

Connie Felde                       Go Gophers