From:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1993 16:58:58 -0500
From an article running in TODAY'S Watertown Daily Times

Reprinted w/o permission (uh oh)

By Greg Gay
"St Lawrence University coach Joe Marsh's days haven't grown any easier
since his hockey team lost its second of two games to Clarkson University
last weekend.

A comment made by Clarkson coach Mark Morris after the Golden Knights
defeated SLU, 4-2, Saturday has taken on a life of his own and
made Marsh's life miserable in the process.

In a postgame talk with reporters, Morris said, 'We had heard that Joe
skated them later after they left our building (after SLU's first loss
to Clarkson). That's a pretty good indication that they were going
to come prepared.'

Conducting a practice after a game violates an NCAA rule.

Marsh adamantly denied skating his players after the 5-3 loss at Clarkson's
Cheel Arena on Dec. 4.

'It's categorically false.' Marsh said.

'No. 1, I would never do that to a team. You can interview every player
that's ever played fo rme. If you're going to do that kind of thing,
it has to have a sense of purpose behind it. Something like that is just
being vindictive. You'll just break their spirit.

 No. 2, I knew it was an NCAA violation'

What Morris heard, apparently, was an often-repeated rumor that periodically
makes the rounds after either Clarkson or SLU has lost to its rival.

Marsh said the team merely boarded the bus to Appleton Arena after the
game and held a team meeting once they arrived there.

Morris said he was unaware of the relatively new NCAA rule and apologized
for the comment.

'It was said innocently,' said Morris, a former assistant under Marsh
at SLU. 'I didn't have any ill intent. I didn't mean anything by it. If
anything, I considered it a complimentin that they were prepared coming
into a game. Apparently, it wasn't factual, tehy didn't practice.
It was just one of those things. It was heresay. There's no excuse for
me saying it.'

The rules was created in 1991 as part of the NCAA's reform movement
geared towards controlling the number of hours spent on athletics. It
covers all NCAA Division I and II teams and states in part:
'Practice may not be conducted at any time following a competition...'
The rule makes exceptions for practice between games, as in practice
between games of a baseball or softball doubleheader.

An NCAA spokesman for the legislative committee said the rule also was
installed because of the fear that the intenet behind conducting practice
after a game was strictly to punish players.

Marsh said he agrees with the rule.

'It's a pretty good rule,' he said, 'it prevents lunatics from
doing that type of thing.'

To make matters worse for Marsh, a student at Clarkson typed
up an article, via computer, apparently paraphrased Morris'
comment and stated, 'This is a clear violation of NCAA policy.'
The account, filed by computer, was sent through
a computer network link up to several collegiate hockey institutions.

'I can't believe this' he said, 'If I had done it, I would've said point
blank, 'I did it.'"

[End of article]

I wonder if the esteemed Mr Gay was presented with a copy of the
entirity of my posting of just the "appropriate" quote.

BRI FARENELL             [log in to unmask]   GO ERIN WHITTEN!
*******THIS ACCOUNT WILL LIKELY BE VACANT FROM DEC. 18 TO JAN. 13*********
I am in no way affiliated with the Clarkson hockey program except as a fan.
        (Never thought I'd have to issue such an obvious disclaimer)