From:
"Charles M. Shub" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1993 07:29:00 MST
> From: "Arthur C. Mintz" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: BU-Cornell
> To: Multiple recipients of list HOCKEY-L
>
> Just because you and your friends lost sight of the puck or feel that the
> referee *must* have lost sight of the puck doesn't mean the referee lost
> sight of the puck. I talked to Joe Kelly after the game, and what he said
> was essentially that the puck was just sitting there, and he had to keep
> telling himself not to blow the whistle too early. He's ten feet away from
> the play, I'm more than a hundred on the wrong side of the glass, I'll
> accept his version.

well said, art.  Something i've been seeing lately is that referees
have been "SELLING" calls or non-calls with verbiage or hand signals.
On a couple of occasions, I've seen refs (i think greg shephard and
ron foyt) react to crowd noise with a "safe" motion.  I've also heard
many calls of "NO"

> >        A minor highlight: in the first period, a Cornell clearing pass
> >floated lazily out of play, over the penalty boxes, and toward the PA
> >announcer -- hockey-L's own Arthur Mintz.  The puck looked eminently
> >catchable from where we were sitting (to Arthur's right), but he failed
> >to catch it cleanly.  Too busy with stats, perhaps.  In any case, like a
> >good Wrigley Field bleacher bum, Arthur picked the puck up off the floor
> >and offered it back to the "puck person" in the penalty box.  Good citizen!
>
> Saw it all the way. Got both hands on it, almost caught it, trapped it
> against the scorer's table (NOT the floor!). Used to make plays like that
> routinely when I was playing softball, but I haven't played competitive
> softball in more than 3 years. Why Cornell's penalty killers would want to
> pass the puck to me escapes me; I don't shoot very well, especially from
> where I'm located.

good response, i'll have to remember that next time a puck comes my
way.

charlie shub
[log in to unmask]  -or-  cdash@colospgs (BITNET)
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369