From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1993 07:33:57 CST
Well, this is a day late...but we've had some computer problems here in Mpls!

From the student newspaper, The Minnesota Daily:

Headline: Gophers end slide; beat, tie UM-Duluth
Publish Date: 11/15/1993
By David Jackson
<W0I>Staff Reporter

Duluth, Minn. -- While Steve Magnusson and Chris Marinucci were
conducting their own little game of trick-shot billiards, the Gopher
hockey team was taking its first steps on the road to success.

Minnesota took three of four possible points from Minnesota, Duluth
with Friday night's 3-1 win and Saturday night's 3-3 tie.

After Magnusson scored a fluke game-winning goal in the final three
minutes Friday, the Gophers were 2.3 seconds away from a series sweep
before an equally improbable goal by UMD's Marinucci tied Saturday's
game.

Marinucci's centering pass hit defenseman Greg Zwakman's right skate
and slid between goalie Jeff Callinan's legs, salvaging a tie and a
point for the Bulldogs.

``When we need a goal fast, we're supposed to throw the puck out in
front and have everybody crash the net,'' Marinucci said.

The irony of the play was that nobody was crashing the net for the
Bulldogs. They were all tied up behind the net in a fierce battle for
the puck.

Yet in the second period, in which UMD outshot the Gophers 16-2, it
seemed like there was an unmarked Bulldog in the slot at all times.
But Callinan stood tall -- as he had all weekend for Minnesota -- and
UMD did not score.

``I was tired by the end of the second,'' Callinan said. ``But the
fact that they didn't score helped us get a goal in the third period.
It gave us some momentum.''

Jed Fiebelkorn scored what stood to be the game-winner at 4:13 of the
third when he tapped Chris McAlpine's centering pass through the legs
of UMD goalie Jerome Butler. Butler was able to slow the puck but
could not stop it as it trickled over the goal line.

``I stopped it,'' Butler said. ``I looked around and didn't see it. I
thought it was under me, so I closed up my pads. I was sitting on my
stick, and I couldn't do anything.''

The Gophers had a 2-0 first-period lead on Brian Bonin's backhander
which skipped past Butler on the stick side at 5:27 and Jeff
Nielsen's wraparound goal to the same side at 10:10.

But the Bulldogs answered with two goals in a 34-second span. Brett
Larson blasted a slapshot through heavy traffic past Callinan at
11:21. Then Corey Osmak tied the game at 11:55 with a 12-foot
wristshot off a perfect pass from Joe Ciccarello.

Before Marinucci's play, Magnusson's game-winner on Friday earned the
distinction as the weekend's weirdest goal.

Eric Means had dumped the puck into the UMD zone, and as goalie Taras
Lendzyk left his net to play it, the puck bounced straight off the
boards to the slot, where a scramble ensued. Magnusson found the puck
to the right of the net and tried to center it, but the puck hit
Lendzyk's right skate as he was returning to the net, and it bounced
in.

The Gophers had tied the game at 16:26 of the period when freshman
Nick Checco circled the net and delivered the puck to Chris McAlpine
at the right point. McAlpine's shot looked to be wide, but it hit
Justin McHugh's skate and bounced into the net.

McHugh sealed the game by scoring an empty-net goal with nine seconds
left.

``If you look at the last five minutes, we were a prolific scoring
team,'' Gopher coach Doug Woog said, smiling.

But for 56 minutes, Minnesota wasn't smiling. They could not solve
Lendzyk, twice hitting the pipe on point-blank shots. Jason Garatti's
second-period goal for the Bulldogs was the only score.

When the Gophers did score, the goals weren't pretty, but, as
Magnusson said after the game, ``Sometimes you'd rather get three
ugly goals than one pretty one.''
end quotes

-Carol
(who is breathing a sigh of relief!!)
"STRESS?  Are you kidding??  If I were under any more pressure, the carbon
in my body would turn to diamonds." (unknown source)
;-)

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!