From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1993 21:35:13 EST
I noticed in Robert Whitaker's List that OSU's coverage was listed as "N/A." I
don't know if this was because you looked and couldn't find it or because you
knew there wasn't any.  If you looked for it, the reason there is no listing is
because there is no coverage.  In another of my many installments about OSU's
lack of commitment to its hockey program, this must surely be another telling
blemmish on OSU's record; there is no coverage of men's hockey except for the
grudgingly included box score on page 12 and an occasional 2-3 sentence blurb
often headed "Elsewhere" in the Summary section.  No one who follows hockey
needs to be told that OSU has a nothing program going nowhere fast, but it is
just hard to understand how any coach who cares about his players and their
careers or about his sport could continue to allow this to happen and make no
effort to gain better facilities and a broader appeal, but then, that lack of
effort by the coach may be the very reason why Jerry Welsh has retained his job
at OSU despite a career losing record both in conference and overall.

One can bet that John Cooper (football) would have lost his job a long time ago
had he failed to finish in the top half of his conference for the last 7-8
seasons.  I just glanced over the radio listings, but I think OSU may be the
only non-independent Div I program with no radio coverage whatsoever.  OSU
needs
to either make a commitment to this team or reduce it to club status and stop
embarrassing themselves since it is obvious that Jerry Welsh has no problems
allowing himself and his players to be humiliated season after season.  Maybe
if his teams were populated by intellegent players who at least always
graduated there would be an excuse for it, but all one has to say is "Brian
Loney," and that defense is shot.

I've written it before, but please Mr. Gee, won't you help Jerry's Kids?
down.

--
        *        Dave [log in to unmask]         *
        *                  Cornell '91 OSU Med '95                     *