From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1993 23:51:16 EDT
   As this article presents the facts of the case better than has been
   described before in the media or here on HOCKEY-L, I'll type it all
   for you.  Any typos are mine :-( wts

From the October 30-31, 1993 Bangor Daily News ...

NCAA: Ingraham also responsible
by Mike Dowd, Senior Writer

Cal Ingraham should have taken some responsibility for monitoring his
own academic progress.

According to an NCAA official, that was the reasoning used in denying
the University of Maine's appeal to reduce a 14-game suspension levied
against the Black Bear senior hockey player.

"The committee has to look at the individual's responsibility," said
NCAA Director of Eligibility Janet Justus on Friday, less than 24 hours
after Maine's appeal was denied by the five-member eligibility
committee.  "They believe there is a responsibility to reach
requirements toward a degree.  Cal should have been aware of his
situation and should have sought some advice."

The suspension stems from Ingraham failing a course his first semester
at Maine after he had transferred from Air Force Academy three years
ago.  By failing, Ingraham was three credits short of the minimum 24
credit hours per year required under NCAA rules.

Ingraham's credit hours subsequently were incorrectly coded on his UM
transcript.  He was mistakenly ruled eligible by UM officials and
appeared in 14 hockey games in the fall semester of 1991.

Maine officials discovered the error on Ingraham's transcript this year
and reported the violation.  The NCAA suspended Ingraham and Maine had
to forfeit the 14 games in which the player appeared in '91.

Maine subsequently appealed the player's suspension, noting the
institution erred on the transcript and therefore did not inform
Ingraham he needed another course.

Ingraham said Friday he was unaware by failing the class he had violated
NCAA rules.

"I thought all along I was all set with school," said Ingraham, a native
of Georgetown, Mass.  "No one said anything to me.  I was just totally
unaware of the problem."

Justus said UM officials indicated in a conference call Thursday
Ingraham had been advised of all NCAA rules upon entering Maine.

"The Committee assumes the student-athlete should know this rule,"
Justus said.  "Cal was not a freshman.  He had been in an NCAA
institution the year prior."

Ingraham said he had no recollection of being told about the rule and
believed UM officials would apprise him of any problems.

"I felt they must have seen my transcript and that I failed a course.
Maybe I should have taken it upon myself to check.  But I thought those
credits would count." said Ingraham, who did not become concerned about
those lost credits because nobody told him there was a problem.

Yours in College Hockey,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]

P.S.  It's been a tough couple of weeks for Cal.  It was reported in
      this week's Penobscot Times that Cal R. Ingraham, 23, was fined
      $84 for fishing without a license.