From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1993 15:14:20 CDT
To help stave off the hockey-withdrawal DT's, here's an update on Gopher
winger Scott Bell from Wednesday's Minnesota Daily.

--Pam
Go Gophers!!!
1993 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!

Headline: Surgery to sideline Bell
Publish Date: 05/05/1993

By Sam Sigelman

Staff Reporter

Gopher hockey forward Scott Bell did not have the performance he had
hoped for during the 1992-93 season.

After scoring 15 goals and assisting on seven more in his sophomore
year,Bell scored only five goals and 11 assists last season.

Although Bell was named the most determined Gopher for his
performance last year, something was wrong.

``He wasn't the real Scotty Bell,'' coach Doug Woog said. ``We needed
for him to turn it up a notch, but he was restricted by his back.''

Bell had pars spondylitis, caused by trauma on his lower vertebrae.

After feeling pain in his lower back two years ago, Bell had to slow
down his lifestyle and subsequently may have slowed down his playing
style.

``It hampered my daily life,'' Bell said. ``I couldn't play pickup
basketball. I didn't play (hockey) at all last summer and I didn't
get the amount of training I needed before last year.''

Bell didn't want to go through the same pain as he did last year, so
April 28 he underwent back surgery to correct the condition, and will
have to sit out the upcoming season as a medical redshirt.

Bell is currently in a torso brace and said he expects to recover in
six months, but there is a possibility he may need 16 months for a
full recovery.

For the first time in 13 years, Bell will not play competitive
hockey.

``My life doesn't revolve around hockey, but it is a big part of my
life,'' the junior from Simley High said. ``I have to think about my
health before hockey. It (pars spondylitis) could affect the rest of
my body in a negative way.''

Bell said it was his decision to have the surgery and the coaching
staff supported the decision.

``He is an inspiring player,'' Woog said. ``However, we will have the
numbers and we still plan to have three forwards and four lines.''

By losing Bell and with the possibility of losing Craig Johnson and
Darby Hendrickson to the U.S. Olympic team, the 1993-94 Gophers may
lose three forwards with Division I experience.

Sitting out next season may be difficult for Bell but it will provide
the junior with a fifth scholarship year.

Bell plans to complete his speech communications degree next year and
get his teaching certificate during his fifth academic year.