From:
"Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1993 16:36:24 -0500
Here's a couple tidbits of info  - in reading hockey-l :

1. Lerch writes about the "MAAC Conference" ------
  MAAC - Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference
  Members Include :
  Canisius College
  Fairfield University
  Iona College
  LeMoyne College
  Loyola College (Baltimore,MD)
  Manhattan College
  Niagara University
  St. Peter's College
  Siena College
  It is primarily a basketball conference ....BUT ....
  it sponsors championships in a lot of sports.  To
  make a long story a bit shorter -  they are thinking
  of adding HOCKEY.

  At this time only 3 members have the sport at the varsity
  level - Canisius (ECAC WEST), Fairfield (ECAC South)
  and IONA (ECAC South).  But the league would consider
  accepting other schools as "adjunct members" to fill
  enough spots to have some sort of league set up.
  They are doing this for football starting this Fall
  1993.

  At this point - a committee has been set up to
  investigate alternatives, options, etc.  The
  A.D. from Fairfield is gathering information.

  WHY consider a MAAC league ?????  Well, a lot
  of us folks who are considered NCAA D-I and
  have hockey teams need a place to call home and be a part
  of something.  The MAAC would probably put limits on
  budget spending, scholarships, etc. to make it fair
  for all the schools who want to have hockey but CAN'T
  afford the BIG ticket price of trying to compete
  in an established D-I hockey conference (CCHA, WCHA,
  H.E., ECAC).

  Who could be a part of this ???????
  That's what's being looked at now.  there are a lot of
  schools out there that might want in on this.  Such as
  Villanova, St. Bona's, Navy, Army, Duquesne, Penn St.
  Etc. -- Some of these may have to become varsity - but
  in doing so would'nt have to upgrade financially BEYOND
  what they are already capable of.

  This is in the TALKING stages right now - mere infancy.
  But I can see some possibilities.  Some of the PURE
  D-I people may laugh at this but let me point out
  that some of the FAR and AWAY basketball conferences
  were laughed at too.... when they started .... and now
  look at basketball as compared to 15 years ago.

  If people have more questions, I'll answer what I can.

  Brian Cavanaugh
  Canisius College
  Head Hockey Coach

P.S.  Regarding the Plattsburgh player and D-III rules...
 There are ten times more rules at D-I than D-III.
 If you want to know the rules ask your coach to let you look
 at the NCAA handbook and you can see the "gridlock" of rules
 that must be followed and the differences at each level.
 But let me ask you this - if a Plattsburgh player wants to
 transfer to another D-III school - like maybe - Elmira -
 he can play right away - correct.  BUT.. if he transfers
 to a D-I school like Canisius - he must sit one year.
 Now - what's fair.  Don't talk to me about T-shirts !!!!