From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1993 23:54:13 EST
Sid writes on the upcoming HE final four:
>        BU will advanceto historic Boston Garden for the first time since
>the 1991-92 season, when
>they won the Hockey East championship, defeating Maine 4-3 in OT on a goal by
>Shawn McEachern.  The Terriers face the Wildcats of New Hampshire in the
>semifinal, Friday at 8:00 pm. UNH and Maine make their second Garden
>appearances in as many years, while UMass-Lowell makes their first ever trip
>to the Garden in HE touney play when the faceoff against Maine in the opening
>game of the semifinals at 5:00 Friday. It looks to be an exciting series, and
>all four games, including the finals, will be shown live on NESN.

Just a few quick comments/corrections (keeping you honest, Sid :-)):

* It was 90-91 when BU beat Maine to win HE in the Garden, not 91-92.
* It's actually Lowell's second trip to the Garden.  The Chiefs lost to
  Maine 5-4 in the 1987 HE semifinal; there was no consolation that year.
  This is Lowell's first trip to the semis since 1988.  That year, they
  lost a total goals series to Northeastern, 4-3, and the two games were
  played at Northeastern.  Lowell was the only HE team to play in the
  semifinals each of the league's first four years.  Other than 87 and 88,
  they dropped the 85 semi to BC 6-5, and the 86 semi to BC, 5-2; both
  years, the final four was held at the Providence Civic Center.
* The HE release reports that NESN won't carry the consolation game, but
  I have not seen a TV Guide for next week to verify this.

BTW, Lowell was 5-3 in the Garden in DivII (in the Teapot Tournament), and
the 87 semifinal is their only appearance since going to DivI.  The last
time Lowell played Maine in HE tourney play, they lost 16-0.

Thanks for the news and recaps, Sid!
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*