From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1993 01:19:32 EST
Steve Gallichio <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>I'm not sure about undefeated, but I remember back in '85 when Rensselaer
>won the NCAA's, the Engineers did go their final 35 games or so (including
>the NCAA tournament) without a loss. I believe the final record was 35-2-3
>or something like that.

That RPI team (35-2-1) holds the modern records for unbeaten streak in a
single season (33 games, 32-0-1) and in combination with the 1985-86 team,
overall unbeaten streak (38 games, 36-0-2).  Both of those records are
within Maine's reach as the Black Bears' final regular season game will be
their 38th of the year.  Since the HE quarterfinals are 2 games and Maine
is likely to then get a first-round bye in the NC$$ tourney, Maine could play
4 HE playoff games and 3 NC$$ tourney games for a total of 45 games this
year.

Because of Maine's tie with Clarkson, Maine cannot this season break RPI's
record for longest winning streak (both in a season and overall), 30 games.
Maine had won 20 straight before that tie and since tying Providence in the
second game of the season.  They're now one game into another assault on
that record. :-)

The all-time records for winning streak and unbeaten streak are held by
Dartmouth: 32 straight wins from 12/23/41 to 2/20/43, and 46 games without
a loss from 12/23/41 to 1/5/46.  But those are considered to have come before
the "modern era", or 1947-48 when the first NC$$ championship was held.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*