Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1993 09:08:09 EST
James Love submitted a posting about the U Mass job derby.  I was out of town
and was going to submit information about the hunt which appeared in
yesterday's T-U.  The article had basically the same candidates, including the
Miami coach, which I  thought was interesting.  However the T-U indicated
initially Buddy Powers was considered the front runner, but he publicly
announced he was not interested and intended to stay at RPI.  Aside: why is
this job considered such a plum?  I read Mike Machnik's earlier comments but
I still don't understand why coaches relish the thought of leading a program
through a seemingly never-ending series of defeats with their only personal
reinforcement the mantra that the program is just one blue chip recruit away
from winning the big one.  And why do coaches leave winning programs to
establish themselves as the new saviours of some heretofore Division I or II
non-entity?  Clearly coaches are a strange bunch, enamored with more than
simply money or university politics.

Also, the T-U article added that Paul Kariya should be considered a virtual
shoo-in for the Hobey Baker, in spite of his freshman status.  According to
the T-U Kariya's GPA was 3.41 for the first semester.  Where was Colgate, or
for that matter RPI, when this guy was recruited?  Oh well, at least the Red
Raiders are winning hockey games.
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris