From:
"ACAD2A::ASSLK" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ACAD2A::ASSLK
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1992 02:13:06 -0900
..and the Seawolves have still not lost the second night of a series yet this
season.  Before the game, Tom and I predicted 4-3 Seawolves (we're optimists...
:), and that didn't turn out to be too far off; the Golden Gophers and the UAA
Seawolves skated to a 3-3 tie tonight in front of another sellout crowd here in
Anchorage.

Minnesota came out tonight and pretty much played exactly the same as they did
last night, but as tradition would have it, the Wolves played with a higher
level of intensity, and just wouldn't give up.  The difference in this game was
also a complete turn around with the three problems that I pointed out last
night.  Team defense for the Wolves was very very good tonight...MUCH better
then last night.  In addition, they took a few more shots, and tried to keep a
little better discipline.  Though, both teams need to work on that last item,
and I am sure that neither coach was overly impressed there.

                                        AA-UM           Scoring by period
1   UM  11:00   Jeff Nielsen             0-1                    UM  2-1-0 -0
1   UM  18:12   Justin McHugh            0-2    PP              AA  0-1-2 -0
2   AA   7:26   Jack Kowal               1-2    PP
2   UM  14:30   Craig Johnson            1-3    PP
3   AA   4:04   Mitch Kean               2-3
3   AA  19:41   Martin Bakula            3-3    PP

This game was one of the better ones that I have seen this year, not only
because the team that I am biased towards won :)  but because it was good
hockey.  Both teams played with great intensity and desire to win, and although
I imagine Minnesota came in sure that they were going to, I would think that
they should feel lucky to get a tie.

The Wolves have one day off, then they play on Friday and Saturday against
Minnesota-Duluth, whom they split a pair of overtime games with at their last
meeting here in Anchorage.

SK