Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1992 11:04:26 EST
---Mike M. has noted that the college hockey game was played from 1980 to 1984.
The series was tied: East 2, West 2, one tie.

As I recall the 1984 game at Houston Fieldhouse attracted an underwhelming
turn-out, so much so that the game was terminated thereafter (Note to Mike M:
do you have the attendance for all those games?)  Presumably the Maine fans
will provide better support than those in Albany, which manage to non-support
all their sports teams, but I fear the future of an all-star game in this
format is uncertain at best.  The best collegiate hockey players (which often
are not seniors) depart their schools soon after their teams finish their
play-off runs.  NHL teams seem to increasingly enjoy employing the fresh legs
of college players for their own play-off drives even if that player doesn't
fit into their overall scheme.  Thus the allure of a post-season all-star
game is unavoidably diminished.

How could you increase an all-star game's chances of success?  Why not schedule
the game in the middle of the season, say Christmas break.  I know, the
scheduling demon would wreak havoc, home-ice tournaments, Junior Worlds, etc.,
but the net effect for college hockey could be quite favorable.  A mid-season
all-star game would draw attention to college hockey (cable tv?) and might
entice a few additional fans to focus on upcoming regular and post-season
(listening NC$$?) games.  In other words the game might provide a marketing
opportunity for colege hockey--isn't that why we have an NC$$ anyway?
                    _
                   //
      "NYS Hockey"//   Brian Morris
        Go 'Gate //  Albany, N.Y.