From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 1992 19:11:26 CDT
Today's Star Tribune  had an article about Brad Buetow's suspension.  It
contained most of the information posted yesterday from Colorado, but I dont
believe that article mentioned whom the $700 went to or what the NCAA said, so
I'll give you a few lines from the article by John Gilbert:

Colorado College hockey coach Brad Buetow, last season's Western Collegiate
Hockey Association coach of the year, has been suspended without pay for 60
days.  School officials said the suspension, which started Monday, was
because the former University of Minnesota coach had used college athletic
funds to pay an assistant volunteer coach, in violation of NCAA rules.

...the incident involved David Westby ... a graduate assistant under Buetow.

"I gave him $700 last week, which I viewed as meal money," Buetow said....

"The school viewed it as an abuse of budget," Buetow said.  "Then today,
the NCAA informed us that they would recommend no punishment, because it
didn't give our program any advantage or give us any advantage in recruiting."

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!