From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:37:43 -0500
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:28 AM, John Edwards <[log in to unmask]> wrote,
in part:

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > So the NCAA now has an official ticket scalper.
> >
> > http://www.primesport.com/frozenfour/about
> >

> That seems highly unnecessary, given plenty of good seats are still
> available from the NCAA's primary scalper^H^H^H^H^H^H^H seller,
> Ticketmaster

Given there may be plenty of good seats still available, the NCAA *should*
make the implication that this is, at least in part, an economic problem.
That is, if fans are not buying tickets for economic reasons, perhaps a
substantial number of those that did buy are also in some economic distress.

How to relieve or minimize that distress?  One way would be to provide a
mechanism that encourages continued participation, but allowing an easy
bow-out in any given year.   While some people don't mind trying to sell
their tickets via Hockey-L or eBay or Facebook, a formal process that
protects the money they have spent for their tickets can be very important.

At the same time, such a process can help people avoid scalping..

I understand that TicketMaster, etc., are not price-leaders.   A while ago
I asked how much a $24 Boston University / Agganis Arena ticket cost.  No
one replied, but the answer was, in my case, over $36 with the difference
spread over several "fees". Ugly.

Cheers, Wayne