From:
Lisa Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1992 14:37:08 EST
Ah yes, the comment about Kent Manderville not doing much while he was
here at Cornell, which Dave Smith refers to.  I have, it seems, tossed
that particular issue of the Daily Sun.  but I'm pretty sure it was
Phil Nobel who said it.  And I have to say that I agree.  Manderville's
freshman year was the first year that I had Cornell season tickets.  I
couldn't see why everyone was so hyped up about him.  I thought that fellow
frosh (and now junior co-captain) Ryan Hughes played at least as well, and
was at least willing to hit someone occasionally, unlike Manderville.
Previous reports had said Manderville would not come back, but a recent
report is more ambivalent.  In the Feb. 6 Sun, he's quoted as saying
"It's on the other side of the fence right now.  We'll see what happens
when the Games are over."  His rights have been traded to lowly Toronto,
and perhaps (as Greg suggested to me) he will pull a Lindros and refuse to
go there.  We'll see...
Lisa Sweeney
CWRU '88, Cornell '93?