From:
Lisa Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 1992 12:35:01 EST
I think I've caught up on Life, the Universe, and Hockey-L after time out
for oral surgery. (BTW, it went well--I don't resemble U of M mascot
Goldie Gopher!)  Last night I sifted through the accumulated newsprint,
and found the following in the Jan. 30, 1992 Cornell Daily Sun:

RPI Hockey Player Facs Rape Charge
Troy, NY (AP) -- A sophomore at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is ques-
tioning the university's response to her charge that she was raped by an
RPI hockey player and has sued her alleged attacker.
	"I just want it to be known that this kink of thing does happen
on RPI's campus," Tracy Malfetano said at a news conference yesterday.
	Malfetano, 19, of Philadelphia, said she was raped during a date
Sept. 1 with an RPI hockey player.
	At the news conference, Malfetano refused to name the alleged
rapist.  But she has filed a lawsuit in state Supreme Court in Rensselaer
County, charging that Cameron Cuthbert, 20, of Mississauga, Ontario,
forced her to have sexual intercouse.
	Cuthbert, a sophomore, is a scholarship hockey player and has
played in half of RPI's games this year.
	Malfetano said she reported the alleged incident to school offic-
ials but not to the police.  In October, a student judicial board ruled
against Cuthbert and recommended that sanctions be imposed against him,
including suspension from the hockey team for the rest of the year.
	Cuthbert appealed the ruling, and a five-member board including
two faculty member, two students and an administrator, overturned the
sanctions on Dec. 3.
	The ruling "sends a clear message that women do not get the same
treatment as male athletes at RPI," Malfetano said, adding that she did
not get the chance to participate in the school's investigation.
	Hockey is the most popular spectator sport at RPI, a school
specializing in engineering degrees about 10 miles north of Albany.
	University spokeswoman Debra Townsend denied that the case was
handled differently because it involved an athlete.
	"We are not a sports school," she said yesterday.  "Our athletes
are treated the same as everyone else.  They are expected to maintain
high academic and personal standards."
	Malfetano's claim was examined "properly, thoroughly and vigor-
ously," aid the university's investigation is now closed, Townsend said.

lisa sweeney
"The Irish are the blacks of Europe"
"I'm black and I'm proud"
--"The Commitments"