From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:16:31 -0500
| From: Todd Nielson <[log in to unmask]>
|I absolutely, wholeheartedly agree with Adam on this one.  It would be a
|disservice to college hockey to have truly mediocre teams listed in a top-
|anything poll.  The value of such polls is generally questioned anyway.
Polls
|are nothing but opinions. Its better that the teams be talked about, not
their
|position in a poll.
|
|Promoting college hockey is important, but it has to start with things like
|getting it more visible in "traditional media" (TV and print) and the NCAA
|including it in its paid section in the Hockey News -- all of it, not just
the
|"big four" leagues.

But is #11-20 really just "truly mediocre" or are they worthy of a national
ranking?

Here they are:

11 Princeton                   3-1-1   14
12 Ferris State                8-3-2   13
13 Northern Michigan           9-5-0    9
14 Colgate                     5-2-0    8
15 Ohio State                  4-7-2    3
16 St. Cloud                   5-5-0    2
17 Wisconsin                   5-5-1    2
18 Cornell                     5-1-0    1
19 Minnesota                   6-6-2    1
20 Providence                  5-5-0    1
21 Yale                        2-2-0    1

Ohio State is just what Adam was worried about - namely a team with a losing
record in the poll. But, I ask you Todd, is Ohio State "truly mediocre"? I
think not?

What would it hurt to have a top-20? Why does this proposed change to a poll
have to be "the starting point" anyways? Todd and Adam make good suggestions
on other places to help promote college hockey, but what does that have to
do with going to a top-20 poll?

- Paul.