From:
John Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 19:32:02 +0100
Eric Biever writes:
> Bill Schneller writes:
>
> > During Friday night's Providence-Miami game, Friar netminder Mark Kane was
> > called for a ten minute misconduct and then made to serve it himself. I
> > spoke with several people afterward and all had the same response as myself
> > - I've never seen that before. Is this a recent rule change?
>
> Nothing new about that.  I remember seeing Wisconsin netminder Terry
Kleisinger
> in the penalty box in old Mariucci Arena mumbledy-mumbledy years ago.  Goalies
> serve their own misconduct penalties, so are well-advised to avoid them.

In fact, since the point of a misconduct is to remove the offending
player from the ice without otherwise penalizing his team, it would be
pretty silly to have someone else sit one.  (I think goalies also have
to sit five-minute majors.)

This came up when Jay Stevens ended his career at Utah in the penalty
box after receiving a misconduct arguing for an icing call on a BYU
goal.  Funny thing was, he won the argument:  the goal was disallowed,
but a la George Brett in the pine tar game, he still had to sit the
misconduct.
http://www.utah.edu/campusrec/spclub/hockey/recap/980221.htm

                                          John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/

Attention ECAC:   Eight is Enough--Flush the Final Five!