From:
Craig Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:50:07 -0500
Two things about UAH's possible move to D-1.

1).  Without football, they are very UNLIKELY to have problems with Title IX
and, therefore, the move would be an easy one.

2).  As for travel costs, UAH guarantees much of its opponents' travel expenses
so they are still spending money on travel, even at home.  They also draw well
and have a pretty good facility in the Von Braun Civic Center.

I don't think an indepedent league would fly.  Air Force has never wanted in a
league before (although I felt they must be making a bigger committment by
hiring Serratorre).  Mankato's in the WCHA and won't leave.  UAH might (might)
fit into the MAAC somehow.  Bemidji, I think, may be in a quandry unless the
WCHA winds up getting someone else because the league does not want an odd
number of teams because it causes scheduling problems for teams on their
off-weeks.

Craig Roberts, University of Minnesota
Women's Sports Information Assistant
Check out the Gophers on the Web at http://www.gophersports.com
Or call the Diet Coke Gopher Sports Hotline at (612) 626-STAT
GO GOPHERS!

Women's National Collegiate Ice Hockey Stats are at:
 www.gophersports.com/sportsNews/press_release.asp?news_id=273