From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 08:33:14 -0600
> From: Robb Newman <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Using words like "discriminates" and "denied full access" make it sound
> like Arthur believes that participating in varsity athletics should be
> subject to the same legal protections as applying for jobs or housing.  (I
> don't know if he does believe this - it just sounds that way).  Heaven help
> us if this were true - the courts are full enough without having to hear
> case after case about some student being unfairly cut from his team......

oh come on, robb, it's just carrying the american way of life to its
logical conclusion.  In addition to not being able to discriminate on the
basis of race, creed, color, religion, or orientation, pretty soon, one
won't be able to discriminate on the basis of commitment or ability.

I wish this were totally tongue in cheek, but i've just been through a
bout with the repercussions of two of our student athletes being cut on
the bases of commitment and ability by a coach (albeit not nearly so
high profile as the ice hockey goalie from a small local college) and our
local media is also in the midst of a feeding frenzy on a sexual
orientation issue involving athletes and coaches at another institution
in the state.

         charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
(719) 262-3492      (fax) 262-3369          http://www.cs.uccs.edu/~cdash