From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 90 09:33:00 CST
Various comments follow.

from Mike Machnik:
  > was in on all three Eagle goals off of Cashman.  The fans opened
  > the season strong - BC fans shouted "Silber, Silber" at the Terrier
  > fans (John Silber, BU president, lost the Massachusetts gubernatorial
  > election last week to Republican Bill Weld).  BU fans answered back
  > with "Beanpot, Beanpot"; BC fans responded with "Curfew, Curfew",
  > and so on.  No dead gophers, but it's still a sign of life.

Ha ha.  Wouldn't it have been more appropriate (if in dubious taste) to throw
dead eagles or terriers?  Isn't there some arena out that way, New Hampshire
perhaps, where the fans throw a dead fish on the ice when their team scores
their first goal? I seem to remember that happening at Mariucci Arena a few
years ago when that team played here.

Bill Fenwick says:
  > Before I forget -- I've been asked by some people who sat near me at last
  > weekend's games to post a question to the list.  We were talking about
  > hockey fundraisers (bake sales, shoot-the-puck-through-the-tiny-hole, and
  > so forth), and somebody came up with the idea of Zamboni rides.  So what do
  > people think?  Would you buy a raffle ticket for a Zamboni ride?

Is second prize two Zamboni rides?  No, I don't think I would buy a chance at
that.  Funny idea, though.  Maybe the lucky winner could be Goalie For A Night.
Then again, maybe not.

Carol White says:
 > Referees Medo Martinello and Brian Ricci have been dropped from the WCHA.
 > I can hardly believe that I am actually seeing this in print!!! Medo has
 > been a thorn in Gopher fans' sides for a long, long time--much like the
 > infamous "Pierre Belanger" we have been hearing so much about lately.
 > Medo was well known for his use of "the marble theory" if one team gets
 > a penalty, it will be offset by the other team also receiving one, either
 > at the same time, or shortly thereafter.

Had Medo merely been a practioner of the marble system, he would have been
much more tolerable.  Instead, his officiating had a a certain element of
suspense, leaving the teams and fans wondering just what he would do next.
As Carol mentions, "We want MEDO!" is a popular Mariucci Arena insult.

Carol also says:
  > One other note from this past weekend.  On Saturday night Larry Olimb
  > scored a goal on arch rival Chad Erickson who was in goal for UMD.  Larry
  > has tried for four years to score on Erickson and finally was successful!

Larry Olimb and Chad Erickson were teammates for years, and were stars of the
Warroad High School team that nearly won the Minnesota High School Hockey
Tournament a few years ago.

***********

Well, I guess I have rambled on long enough.  The big showdown in the WCHA this
weekend is between undefeated Minnesota and Northern Michigan, at Mariucci
Arena.  I wouldn't miss it, except I will be out of town. :-(

-- Erik

Erik J. Biever                           --GOLDEN GOPHER   MMMMM    MMMMM
St. Paul, Minnesota                     --HOCKEY            MM MM  MM MM
Home of the 1991 NCAA Championship     --Fastest Game      MM   MMMM   MM
BITNET:    e-biev@uminn1              --In Town           MM   MMMMMM   MM
INTERNET:  [log in to unmask]                      MMMMM          MMMMM