Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 1992 14:40:19 EST
> I didn't see it start, but I saw most of it.  The RPI player (Majic?) was
> olding the UNH guys head away in an effort to keep himself from getting hit.
> UNH guy lost his glove and punched RPI's helmet.  This went on, with a
> linesman trying to separate them and RPI backing off.  We could see the UNH
> guy holding his jersy and trying to hit him.  RPI was just trying to get out
> of it.  Alas, the ref made an outrageous call, giving RPI a _double_ minor an
> a 10 minute misconduct (apparently for not fighting hard enough) and UNH a
> single minor and a 10 minute misconduct.

This call was definitely made wrong, and should have been the other way around:
2:00 on RPI, and 4:00 on UNH (or possibly a 5 minute major).  Why was it made
wrong?  Well, while the fight was occurring, and the linesmen were in there
trying to break it up, Taylor was watching the incoming gathering of players,
making sure nothing else was about to start.  I don't believe he actually saw
more than 10% of the actual fight in progress.  The duty of informing Taylor
as to what happened should have fallen on Dell and Toner (the linesmen).
Therefore, the entire blame for the unbalanced call can't be left on Taylor.
His linesmen are there to support him, and in this one case, they failed.

> This, coupled with another questionable (but probably correct) penalty on RPI
> led to a six on three where UNH picked up its last goal.

This was a marginal call at best, but considering that RPI had a considerable
lead at this point, it was justified.  Had the game been tied, the call would
have been a poor one.  Reffing by the score...  I used to be so against it.
Now, it makes complete sense.

---
Kenny Zalewski -- Information Technology Services at Rensselaer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 83 Albright Court, Troy, NY, 12180
[log in to unmask] | [log in to unmask] | [log in to unmask]