From:
Bruce Hissong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Hissong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 18:40:01 -0500
>Well, all of you anti-Michigan folks have more cause for
>celebration.  I've just learned that three non-seniors are
>headed for the pro ranks rather than return to Ann Arbor
>next season.
>
>Goaltender Marty Turco, right wing Bill Muckalt and defenseman
>Bubba Berenzweig have all announced their intention to
>leave Michigan.  Turco and Muckalt are currently juniors,
>Berenzweig a sophomore.
>
>Turco has signed with the Dallas Stars and Muckalt with the
>Vancouver Canucks.  Both are likely to finish 1996-97 with
>their respective IHL (Michigan K-Wings) and AHL (Syracuse
>Crunch) affiliates.
>
>Berenzweig has signed with the New York Islanders and
>should make his NHL debut later this week.  He cited the
>fact that the timing was right to present him with a great
>opportunity to break into the Islanders lineup...an opportunity
>that may not be there two years from now.
>
>Some quick career stats:
>  Berenzweig...80 GP 11-20--31
>  Muckalt...116 GP 73-87--160
>  Turco...94-18-6

Ugh.  Michigan loses three integral parts of next year's team, Miami loses
Robitaille, and I read in the most recent edition of The Hockey News that
Mike Watt will likely leave Michigan State.  Anyone want to take
guesses/predictions concerning the balance of power in the CCHA next year?
I think it will be between Miami, MSU, and LSSU, with MSU probably the
favorite, although if Miami can replace Robey's offense, look out.

Bruce
Miami '96