From:
"Jason W. Roy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 00:39:07 -0600

> Looked at in isolation, no, it is not fair to make a team play three
> games in three days to win.  But, it doesn't happen in isolation.  I
> really belive that the regular season ought to mean something (actually,
> I wish the rest of the world believed that the regular season meant more
> than the playoffs, but y'all don't).  So, I think that the current
> playoff format is ENTIRELY fair.  If you can't perform at the top over
> the previous five months, then you better be ready to put forth a
> superhuman effort in March to convince me that you belong.  Right now,
> Michigan Tech (to pick the team Mr. Roy is touting) has won five games
> in thirty tries in WCHA conference play.  It is entirely proper that
> their road to playoff victory is difficult; it ought to be.  If they
> wanted fairness, they should have won more games from October through
> February.

The regular season would still mean something.....thats why they have
the 4 vs 5 game......I don't think it should have to take a inhuman
effort for a #5 team to win......just outwork the team they are
playing...the playoffs are a whole new season...the regular season
determines the positioning...but in the playoffs anything can happen.....
...It is stupid set up to have the 5th  or 4th place team have to play 3
games in 3 nights when it could easily be stretch over 4 days instead of
3....
........You might want to re-read my article I made no mention of
fairness towards this years Michigan Tech club.....I talked about last
years club........which escaped an NCAA tourny bid by one game......The
point I made was I thought UND, U of M, and CC would most likely
advance....but I cautioned the UND fans about Techs past playoff upsets....

...It wouldn't suprise me at all to see St. Cloud win the Final Five...If
I was betting the odds they would be my pick........I hope UND does win
though.....anybody but the Gophs

       JASON ROY                   *     *                CBC's
 UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA             *   *         HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA
[log in to unmask]             * *         "The Tradition Continues"
         GO 21                        *
   GO TECH / GO CANADA               * *              Molson Canadian
        GO STARS                    *   *
      GO BILL BERG               ***     ***         The Tragically Hip
    A loose puck doesn't know who's....BigGeR, StRoNger, or DrAfTed hIgheR.
                       BUT IT KNOWS WHO GETS THERE FIRST.       (Bauer CANADA)