From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:42:05 -0500
On Feb 21, 13:05, Joe LaCour wrote:
>You went a little easy on the Cornell - Union game.  Koenig
>is hotter than a pistol right now and the Dutchmen are
>playing excellent hockey.  It will be a tale of O against D.

You can also throw this into the mix... Cornell will be without at least three
forwards this weekend, as Matt Cooney, Vinnie Auger, and Keith Peach will not
dress due to assorted injuries.  Jamie Papp may also not see action.  This will
only make an already tough road trip for Cornell that much tougher.  On the
other hand, the Big Red has faced adversity like this before (OK, maybe not
quite *this* much) and has fared well.  Auger and defenseman Chad Wilson were
suspended for the Vermont game back in November, and Cornell got a big win.
 Cooney and defenseman Jason Dailey were suspended for a pair of games at the
end of January, and the Big Red responded with a weekend sweep of Princeton and
Yale.  And last Saturday, Cooney missed the Brown game, Auger missed most of it,
and Papp struggled with back spasms, and Cornell put seven goals on the board.

BTW, Brian Cropper's shutout streak, which is still the ECAC record, was 189:48.
So if Cornell doesn't put a puck past Koenig in the first 16:15 of this one...
all hail the new king.

>Hoping for a clinch by Saturday midnight.

Sorry -- won't happen.  Cornell and Clarkson are currently tied for the top
spot, with RPI a point behind (and Vermont three behind), and Cornell plays at
RPI on Saturday.  So even if Clarkson sweeps this weekend and Cornell and RPI
lose their other games, the best the Knights can do is open up a three-point
lead on either Cornell (if the Big Red and the Engineers tie) or RPI (if the
Engineers beat Cornell).  Which would certainly improve Clarkson's position, but
it won't clinch first.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"I believe Marcel Marceau said it best."
-- Madeline Kahn, "Cosby"