From:
Kirk the Eisenbeis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kirk the Eisenbeis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 07:34:55 -0600
An answer to the question (I think), some comments, and some more
questions...

On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, matthew sullivan wrote:

> >Actually, I believe that Blake and D. Hoogsteen are only sophs this
> >year...
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Blake play a year at Ferris State,
> then transfer to UND.  I believe he had to sit out last year.  Don't you
> loose a year eligibility?  If he did loose a year then he would be a Jr.
> Could someone let me know if I am interperting the rule right.

It is my understanding (and someone who KNOWS, please confirm or correct
me), from little tidbits I've heard posted here and there that
a) a player may only play in 4 seasons (with possibly some injury exceptions,
apparently)
b) one only has a span of 5 seasons to use these 4.

I believe that the 5-year ticker starts once you become a full-time
college student.

If my understanding above is not correct, then most of what is below is pure
bunk. :)

I would think that the sit-out-year is his nonplaying year.  He still
will play a total of 4 seasons, and will do it over 5 years.

(I'm sick right now, so the memory is haywire, and I know the following
scenario involves one of North Dakota's players--I'm 99% sure it's
Kallay.)

I think an example of b) is North Dakota's Ian Kallay.  He took enough
classes one semester (while in Canada playing juniors?) that the "NCAA
5-year ticker" started on him.  Even though this is only his second year
at UND, it is his last because his 5-year eligibility is up.

(I've mentioned this example a few months ago on the list.  UND is
appealing for an exception because he didn't know, and more importantly
the NCAA is punishing him for taking a few classes to educate himself at a
school that had no association with the juniors team he was playing on.)

But I digress into my personal adgendas...

Second, a question.  Is this "5 years to play 4 years" where the
"red-shirt year" comes in?  They attend school, but don't play one year?
They can practice with the team, can't they?  I assume it is the same for
Jason Blake during his year of sitting out?

Kirk