From:
Kelley Brooke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelley Brooke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 14:10:34 -0500
To respond to Mr. Verrill's question on what is a hip pointer, it is a
contusion to the Iliac crest.  It's the bony part on the front and side of your
hip or pelvis.  When injuries are very common, they tend to get a catch phrase
attatched to them.  Some examples are:

1. blown out knee:  usually only refers to complete tears of cruciate and
sometimes colateral ligaments

2. separated shoulder:  this term is sometimes used to describe a sprain to the
ligament that connects your shoulder blade and collar bone, or an AC sprain.
The terms are sometimes used interchangably<sp> but they imply the same injury.
I've often been asked by confused parents after they get two diagnosis on an
injury and two different answers for the same injury.  A separated shoulder is
also sometimes refered to only in a complete tear(or separation) of the AC
ligament

3.  stinger, burner, neck pointer?:  I've never heard it called a neck pointer
but a stinger is an injury to the brachial plexus, a group of nerves that
originate in the spinal cord and go down to the hand and arm.  The injury is
usually from a direct blow to the neck or shoulder, or from getting hit in the
head from the side, whipping it sideways.  A hot or burning sensation is felt
down one arm and there is usually loss of feeling and strength for a period of
time.  This is a serious injury!!  Never just blow it off as just a stinger.

I hope some of that babble was helpful.

Also to respond to a few other posts...

Mr. Rein,  the Hill-Murray/UofM analogy isn't too far off.

Mr. Bergum, Canadiens usually come out of juniors the same age as U.S. high
school seniors

Mr. Neal,  What can I say?  Minnesota may just be the most friendly place on
the planet.  It's gotta be you!!

B.G. Kelley