From:
Eric Rickin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Rickin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 09:15:41 -0500
Whoops, I meant to say checking from behind.  But, yes, people will always
miss a check and fly into the boards and hurt themselves, but the way to
remedy that isn't to say, "Well, let's just remove those helmets.  That
way one person will splatter their brains all over the ice, but then no
one else ever will do it."

People drive recklessly, and I guess you could say they do it because
their cars have airbags and seatbelts.  Should we just remove those too?

Hockey is a violent sport, but it's aso a beautiful sport.  Fights are
shown on TV.  Hits are pumped up to larger than life (when they do the
"hits of the week" type thing).  The emphassi is being put on the wrong
part of the sport.

---
University of Cincinnati Medicine Class of 2000
University of Michigan Class of 1995
http://www.biology.lsa.umich.edu/~erickin
University of Michigan -- 1996 NCAA Hockey Champions!