From:
"(No Name)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 12:22:09 -0400
Craig Lisko/HCS/CSC
01/16/97 12:22 PM

All,

I have earlier sent a response back to Jerry regarding this incident, and
all responses have been correct. Let me try to explain the college rule.

A goaltender may not freeze the puck behind the goal line at any  time
unless a piece of his body (arm, foot,) is extended back across the goal
line.

If during the course of play a goaltender is outside of his crease (let's
say five feet) and he makes the save and then immediately falls on the
puck, NO penalty will be called.

What college "rules" disallow is the goaltender pursuing the puck in order
to freeze it. Example, Same situation as above only this time the goalie
takes ONE stride towards the puck to cover it, this IS a penalty.

Only in college do they have such a rule. Goaltenders like myself who play
in leagues that don't call this, usually get one warning their freshman
year and that's it.

The idea is to stop goaltenders from wandering around the zone being able
to freeze the puck anywhere they choose.

Hope this can clear any confusion the rules committee has placed on us.

Craig Lisko
Ferris State 1990-1994