From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:44:00 EDT
David Weinberg suggests that THN selected the best
player from the best team and not the best player overall
in Michigan's Brendan Morrison.  Let the IMO roll...

I have to disagree with David.  Morrison was and still is the
best player in college hockey.  But, Morrison didn't have the
best year in college hockey.  Bottom line, the two can be
different.
  Best Player: Morrison
  Player of the Year: Bonin
Bonin as well as the likes of Pandolfo, St Louis and others
were as or more deserving for PotY accolades.

Before any Michigan fans charge me with blasphemy,
remember that I wouldn't trade a healthy Morrison for a
healthy anyone.  I think Brendan is the most talented player
in the NCAA.  But, for individual on-ice production in 1995-96
I'd have to go with Bonin.  So, David and I can agree that
THN's PotY shouldn't have gone to Morrison, but we have
different reasons why.

1993-94 presents another example.  Paul Kariya was the
best player, but he wasn't around enough to have the best
year.  UMD's Chris Marinucci won the Hobey and Michigan's
David Oliver was THN's PotY.  I agree with THN on this one,
so THN has either changed it's philosophy in selecting the
PotY or they honestly believe that Morrison injury plagued
season was still the best in the land.  Maybe THN just likes
picking someone who didn't win the Hobey.  (I think they
named Holzinger in 1994-95, though.  So much for that theory.)

John H ([log in to unmask])
To err is human, to moo bovine.