From:
John T Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 15:29:22 -0700
Dick Tuthill writes:

>        Btw,  Albany is a chip shot from anywhere and very cheap to get to.
>  Fly
>into this little place called NYC,  (featured in most promotional fares),  get
>a deal on a rental car,  and blast up the Thruway to the capital district.

        Actually, I'm told that renting a car in NYC can get expensive
(altho Newark is supposed to be cheap).  Better to take Amtrak
upstate.  It's $18 each way to Rhinecliff, two-thirds of the way
there, so roundtrip to Albany can't be much more than $50.  The trick
is that you can't do it after 11am on Friday or Sunday, or you get
stuck with the higher peak fares.  (Then there's the way I got to Lake
Placid this year: fly into LaGuardia and take the train to Rhinecliff
where Mom met me at the station with her car...)  Of course, I tend to
just fly into Albany myself (on visits to Kingston, across the bridge
from Rhinecliff).  United flies jets there from Chicago, and maybe
someday the Albany airport will even get enclosed skyways.  (It's the
largest US airport where you still have to walk across the tarmac.)

        As for the prospects of Anaheim in '99, I'm less than sanguine
myself.  On top of everything else, the media coverage of College
Hockey is nearly non-existent.  For the Freeze-Out and Phinal Phour,
the LA Times has wire reports, no boxes or pictures, and the rest of
the season we're lucky if the scores end up in the paper the next day.

                                        John Whelan, Cornell '91
        <http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/people/john_whelan/jphock.html>

1996 Cornell Ice Hockey: Ivy League Women's Champions
Ivy League Men's Champions / ECAC Men's Champions