From:
"John R. Nash" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John R. Nash
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 13:21:54 -0600
        First off, I'd like to thank Frank Mazzocco for his classy reply to
my post about hearing the MSC feed while at the Bradley Center.  As is too
often the case in the electronic world, some of the things written on the
spur of the moment (e.g. following a spirited hockey game) don't look so
good when re-quoted days later.  Frank cleared some things up from his side
of the mike, and I'd like to do the same.  Quoted material is from his
reply to my post.

>... in the new Bradley Center.  The
>in-house video people had access to MSC's audio and video (note the use of
>the on ice interviews after the championship game).  Perhaps it was *that*
>signal you caught on 530 AM.  MSC's feed leaves the game site via microwave
>and satellite up-link.  I can't image a Walkman would pick it up.

It's very likely that I was picking up an in-house feed.  I can't quite
afford one of those newfangled microwave Walkmans.

One thing I neglected to mention was that I _enjoyed_ listening to the pbp
and analysis while watching the game (I couldn't pick up WRN's Swanson and
Brophy from inside the center, and I was interested in analysis of things
like "why the whistle blew"...).  My comment about partisanship came over a
bit strongly as well; I meant to say that it was interesting to hear a
Minnesota-oriented broadcast while rooting for the Badgers.  I did not mean
to imply that the commentators were flagrant "homers," which by comparing
to some members of the Badger crowd, I'm sure I did.  I've heard announcers
who feel that every penalty against their team is "garbage" and every one
against the opposition is "a clear call."  These guys weren't of that ilk.

>John, there aren't many rinks were you can get good pretzels!  ;-)

One of the perks of attending games in Wisconsin!  (I had a pretzel, too!!)

>>[series of F-words]
>Seriously, and honestly, I suspect our studio microphone was open as the
>Gopher's filed past on the way to their dressing room during a commercial.
>(BTW, I didn't hear any of it.)  Anyone on the crew using that kind of
>language near a plugged-in microphone (on or off) wouldn't be working long.
>Too risky.  Too easy for a switch to be open and something like that
>accidentally reaching someone's living room.  I didn't say it. No one on the
>crew would have said it.

Fair enough.  I should say that I have not the ear nor experience listening
to MSC (more on that later) to tell who was saying what.  _Some_ upset
gopher fan was venting near a mike and unwittingly broadcasting, but beyond
that who can say.

>Congrats to the Buckies on a good end-of the year run and to one of the best
>coaches in the land on righting the Cardinal and White ship before it sank.

And congrats to the Gophers (and Doug Woog) for one of the strongest years
in recent memory.  I haven't seen a team with this much talent in some
time, and IMHO the Gophers will have a Hobey Baker award winner this year
in Bonin.  Who knows, if Crowley keeps it up, there may be another in the
near future....

>...if I may be allowed a semi-commercial comment, I'd
>entreat all Wisconsin fans to contact local cable operators to add Midwest
>Sports Channel.  You might be pretty surprised how informative and pro-
>college hockey our telecasts are.

Well, I for one wouldn't be surprised, speaking as someone who drools
whenever I here how much college hockey is being shown in MSC.  None of the
Final Five games were shown in Madison (in years past, WKOW-27 picked up
the feed for the Badger games only, but not even that this year).  Without
MSC and ESPN2, the college puck pickings are all too slim here.  I'm always
amused that the Twin Cities get a live feed of Badger-Gopher games in
Madison, while the locals wait until 10:30 for a tape delay.

Two other comments:  1) The WCHA needs a real TV contract!  How about with
MSC? and 2) Nothing against Swanson and Brophy, but I really miss hearing
Bill Howard and Paul Braun calling the game on radio (they are still heard
on the tape delay).  We want our Howie back!

>Sincerely,
Sincerely,
>Frank Mazzocco
John Nash
>MSC Announcer
Graduate student and diehard hockey fan
>Father of a Cheesehead (daughter born in West Allis, WI)
Cheesehead-in-training (from upstate NY originally)
>Lover of pretzels
Amen!!

-==-John R. [log in to unmask] Chem. Dept-==-
                 --- "When in doubt, roll!" ---