From:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 11:36:37 -0500
Second part first: ESPNet just verified that the Big-G is a Blue.
One player in the trade was Patrice Tardif, who I believe went to
Maine, hence the college hockey suitability   :-)

Now, on to real hockey:

Well, that was entertaining.

Cornell came within an eyelash of what at least would tie an
all-time record, as the women's team shut out both weekend
opponents and the men's team gave up just a single goal
Friday before blanking RPI Saturday.  Reminds me of the
quote attributed to Dizzy Dean, when he tossed a one-hitter in the
first game of a DH and his brother Paul pitched a no-hitter
in the nightcap: "if I'd a knowed Paul was gonna throw one I'd
a throwed one too."

Congratulations to the women, who complete The Big Red's
Daily Double of Ivy League Championships!  The women finished the
ECAC RS slate with their best conference record and standing
ever, and travel to Providence for the QF next weekend.  They
shut out their final *three* league opponents and are in as good a
position as they could hope to pull off what would admittedly be a
big upset against the (Lady?) Friars.  Julie Andeberhan, much like
Mike Schafer, deserves full credit for the remarkable resurgence
of a proud but once troubled program.  The future's so bright...
well, nobody wears shades in Ithaca but you know what I mean.

The men controlled both the Union and RPI games with tremendous
goaltending and defense.  The penalty kill was merciless
(the two opponents were a combined -1 on their advantages).
While Cornell did not pick up any ground on the other Big Four
(again), neither did they lose any, running their NCAA-best
undefeated string to 10 (9-0-1, 8-0-1 in ECAC).

Now the screaming starts (obscure bad movie reference for a thousand, Alex),
as Cornell (30 pts) and Colgate (28) pack their bags for the North
Country and Clarkson (31) and SLU (32) to complete the regular season.
AND WHAT A WAY TO END THE REGULAR SEASON!

Finally, if Colgate gets two points on the coming weekend the
ECAC will have produced *five* 30-point teams.  Last year, 28
points was enough for second place.  The league has staged
miosis (or mitosis, I always get them mixed up) with the top and bottom five
squads pulling away from each other as fast as possible.  Indeed, as of
today 7 of the 12 league teams have losing records.  Weird.

Greg R. Berge
Let's Go Red!
1995-96 Women's Ivy League Champions
1995-96 Men's Ivy League Champions

Mike Schafer for Rookie Deity of the Year!