From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 11:37:30 -0500
Bill Corrigan writes:

>Although I haven't read anything specific, I have the impression from some
>of the recent HOCKEY-L postings that the ECAC has eliminated the infamous
>(in my view) three-point (one win + one tie) quarterfinal playoff series
>format.  That is, the team that first accumulates a minimum of three points
>in the series is declared the winner (of course, four points is even
>better, when one team wins both of the first two games).  So, the first
>night winner need only earn a tie in regulation on the second night to
>advance (there is no OT played in the first two games).  And if the teams
>split the first two games, and are tied at the end of the decisive third
>game, they play sudden-death overtime until a series-winning goal is
>scored.

As far as I know, the ECAC quarterfinal format remains unchanged from last
year:  in the first two games of the series, a single five-minute
sudden-death overtime will be played if there is a tie at the end of
regulation.  This OT period was added last year; prior to that, in those
years when the ECAC quarterfinal was a multiple-game affair, ties at the
end of regulation did not go to OT.  (Anybody remember those wretched
mini-games?)  The third game of the q-finals, if necessary, would be played
"to completion", with as many OTs (presumably the 20-minute variety) as
needed.

I would also like to see The Academic League go to a for-real best-of-three
series, with all games played "to completion", but I doubt we'll ever see
it happen (then again, I used to think the ECAC q-finals would never be
anything remotely resembling a best-of-three).

Bill Fenwick