From:
"Anne L. Kaufman" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne L. Kaufman
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 21:33:03 -0500
A late entry in the greatest game story thread, from my brother Dan, who
enjoys hearing about Hockey-L discussions...(I feel I must disclose that
he's Harvard '89)

From: [log in to unmask]

WHo can argue with the sentiment, but to label the 31-3 Harvard squad as a
Cinderella does a great disservice to the team. Harvard opened the season
15-0, and was one of the top-ranked teams in the country the entire season.
Only the parochial belief that Eastern hockey was inferior kept them from
being labelled the favorite, especially after a convincing quarterfinal
thrashing of Lake Superior State and solid semifinal round win over Michigan
State.

It was a heck of a game, however. I don't think any of us who were there will
ever forget it, especially the incredible silence as the puck slid slowly
into the net. It produced some of the best college writing and photos that I
have seen, as people tried to make sense of the win and the loss. The
Minnesota student paper (which I still have) was almost as eloquent in
defeat.

Anne Kaufman