From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 10:21:58 -0600
I'll skip a full summary of the Bears' 6-1 loss to the Oilers' rookies
since, reflecting what its readers' interests are, the Edmonton Journal
concentrated on how the Oilers performed.  The one piece of news which
will have a strong impact on the Bears is that last year's leading
scorer, Mike Jickling, will be out for 6-8 weeks with torn ligaments.
This is not good news for a team which needs good leadership (and scoring).

Below is an article previewing the season for the Bears written by Ray
Turchansky in today's Edmonton Journal:

GOLDEN BEARS HAVE GOOD CHANCE AT PLAYOFFS

Two statistics set the scene nicely as the Alberta Golden Bears hockey
team held its 1995-96 coming-out ceremony against the Edmonton Oiler
rookies Thursday.

Number of players, out of 26, returning from last season: 19.

Number of head coaches, out of one, returning from last year: Zip.

"We have a little bit of experience, not a whole lot," said Bears rookie
head coach Rob Daum, who is down to 37 players including seven goalies...

"We've got a lot of guys coming back, but most in their second year."

...But it may take another fact to keep the Bears from again missing the
playoffs.  That's the new Canada West alignment and playoff system.

Instead of a one division conference of eight teams with four making the
playoffs, there will be two four-team divisions with three in each
division advancing.

"I think it will create more exposure, it will benefit some teams that
haven't been in the playoffs by giving them a chance to expose their
programs, which makes the league better."

The Bears' biggest hole is netminding.  Scott Ironside and Derek
Shybunka are gone.  That allows the sole leftover from last seasons
troika, Dale Masson, to assume the no. 1 job after a 2-3-1 record in nine
games and a team leading 3.57 goals against average.

Some missing forwards are Mark Souch, Dory Reich and Scott McDonald.  In
the infirmiry is Kent Simpson, out with broken ribs.

The team's only double digit scorers, Paul Strand, with 18, Mike
Jickling, 16, Trever Sherban, 11, and Mike Thompson, 10, are all back.

...Only Richard Groten is gone from last season's blue line corps.

"I don't know if we've got one player who's jumped out," Daum said of the
defence.  "But a number of players in camp who weren't here last year
have done a very good job--Aaron Zarowny, Dave Jesidowski, Frank
Esposito, Tom Mix, Merv Hanley and Jamie Price are all over junior age.
And we've got three juniors there."

The question is how quickly they can gel.  At least with the new playoff
format, they have some time.

"I think this league is so competitive, if you can make the playoffs, you
can win a national championship," said Daum.

END OF ARTICLE

Not to reopen a thread, but I'm disappointed in the new playoff format.
I'd like to see only four teams make the playoffs in each league, US or
Canadian.  To allow all, or virtually all teams, IMHO, cheapens the
regular season.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!
GO GOLDEN BEARS!!!