From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 1995 09:54:40 -0600
this year, concentrating on the University of Alberta Golden Bears who
play their first exhibition against the Oilers' rookies tonight.
Unfortunately my radio show is tonight so I won't be able to attend.
However,  a profile of the new Bears' coach, Rob Daum, appeared in the
Edmonton Journal today by Ray Turchansky.  An edited version follows:

DAUM HAS BEARS' REINS

As he learned to skate on the frozen ponds of Churchbridge, Sask.,
population 1000, his hockey heros were Eddie Shack and Bobby Orr.

Given that disparity, there's no way to know what kind of personality the
University of Alberta Golden Bears are going to assume under new head
coach Rob Daum this winter.

Nor does his playing past divulge any insights.

"I was a goal-scorer who didn't score," said Daum, 37, a forward with the
Bears under Billy Moores in 1979-80 and Clare Drake in 1980-81.  "I
didn't play a lot here.  I've been fortunate in that I've been on other
teams where I was counted on more heavily and was able to experience
those situations as well.

"Plus in my coaching career I worked with Terry Simpson in P.A (Prince
Albert) and Graham James in Swift Current.

"They had different styles and different focuses.  Every experience you
have, good or bad, is beneficial."

Two months ago, Daum was given the challenge to start the Golden Bears
back on the road to glory.  The team with 38 conference and eight
national titles had missed the Canada West playoffs with an 11-12-5 mark
and fallen into disarray, epitomized by the civil war between interim
coach Peter Esdale and captain Barclay Pierce.

"Any time you come into the situation after Billy Moores or someone like
that who's had a lot of respect that makes it tough," said Daum, who
maked his U of A coaching debut tonight...

"Anybody who comes into this program has huge shadows.  It's very
difficult to measure up.  I've tried to start as fresh and new as
possible and not worry about what happened last year."

Daum has a two year contract, then Moores will decide whether to leave
the Kokudo Bunnies in Japan and return to the Bears' den.

"You live for the moment to a certain extent, but you can't jeopardize
the program, you have to look out for long-term benefits," said Daum.

"I have to come in and do the best job I can for two years and leave the
program as strong as I can and go from there.

"If Billy decides to come back, hopefully there will be other coaching
opportunities for me.  I don't think you sell out to make yourself look
good."

He admits there's potential for player confusion after recruiting has
been handled by Esdale, Moores and now himself in 1995.

The question is how long it will take the Bears to wear his stamp.

"It will take awhile.  As far as the overall program is concerned, it
will take two or three years to have a real impact.

"As far as the team itself is concerned, it's instantaneous."

Bear teams historically have been fast-skating, great-checking,
low-scoring and not overly physical.

"I would like a team that's aggressive, competitive and hungry.
Everybody has to be as close to an all around player as possible."

Daum arrives after six seasons as assistant and head coach with Prince
Albert, Swift Current and Lethbridge in the junior Western Hockey League,
with its reputation for toughness...

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!
GO GOLDEN BEARS!!!