From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 1995 05:01:52 -0500
Wayne Smith wrote:

>Wendy asked about substitution and coincidental minors...
>
>Rule 4.2.e.  When ONE minor penalty is assessed to ONE player of EACH
>   team at the stoppage of play, these penalties will be served without
>   substitution provided there are no other penalties in effect and
>   visible on the clock.
>
>Stated differently, if a single minor penalty is called on one player of
>each team, no other penalties are called and no other penalties are on
>the clock (that is, the teams are skating 5-on-5), then the penalties
>are served w/o substitution (teams remain 5-on-5 and the penalties are
>not placed on the clock).

When a penalty is served without substitution that means that the team
plays with a man down. When a penalty is served "with substitution", that
means that it is served like a misconduct.

>Any other time, the penalties are placed on the clock (no substitution).

I think think is backwards.

If one minor is called on one player of each team, there are two possible
scenarios:

1) There are no penalties on the clock (i.e. both teams have 5 skaters).
   If that is the case, then the penalties go on the clock, and the teams
   will play with four skaters, and the players will come out of the penalty
   box immediately when their penalties expire.

2) There are penalties running on the clock.
   If that is the case, then the penalties _do_not_ go on the clock, and
   the teams play with the same number of skaters they had before. (So, if
   it was 4-on-4 before the penalties, it will be 4-on-4 after). The players
   serve their two minutes, and they will have to wait for a whistle to be
   released from the penalty box.

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards        Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr Senators (26-25-3 59pts) (CJHL)
Carleton U., Law IV                   I don't give a damn about being liked,